When seeing a movie for the first time you may think to yourself, "Wow this film is really well written!" or "This is a great story!" Although the script may have been entirely envisioned and created by the screenwriter, there is a good chance that you are looking at the result of a film adaptation.
Welcome to CouchPotatoesOnline.com, a growing database, currently with information from 10903 DVD movie releases that you can browse by Date, Genre, Title, or through a custom search.
To find out more visit either our About Us or FAQ page.
Thanks for making us a part of your movie watching experience!
Live From Hollywood...
The important clue in the Captain America: Civil War trailer you may have missed
by Alex Abad-Santos
If you blinked, you missed it.
Christmas came early for Marvel fans, via the trailer for Captain America: Civil War. It picks up after the post-credits scene from Ant-Man, centering on Falcon (Anthony Mackie), Captain America (Chris Evans), and a subdued Winter Soldier/Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) and featuring an all-out, hero-versus-hero brawl that climaxes with Bucky and Cap pummeling Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.). Throughout the trailer, we're reminded that Cap and Bucky are friends, and that their friendship is something the government and Iron Man don't approve of. Cap is essentially defending a public enemy.
But Civil War isn't that simple, nor does its plot focus solely on Captain America's personal relationships. There's a major clue pertaining to the world beyond Cap and Bucky folded into the trailer, but it appears so briefly that you might've overlooked it.
Pay special attention to the scene in which General Ross (William Hurt) is talking to Cap about Cap's vigilante status.
"You've operated with unlimited power and no supervision," Ross says. "That's something the world can no longer tolerate."
The scene could be misdirection, but it appears Hurt is speaking directly to Captain America. The camera then cuts to someone (Hurt) passing a document to Captain America. But there's little trickery going on here. The person receiving the document has painted fingernails and is wearing rings - so it's probably Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) or Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) if Hurt is indeed talking to the Avengers.
Hollywood North: Leonardo DiCaprio admits B.C.-shot The Revenant was one of his 'most difficult' films
By Lindsey Bahr, The Associated Press
Filming the harrowing wilderness epic The Revenant was like "rock climbing without a rope," director Alejandro González Iñárritu told a robust crowd on Monday at one of the first public screenings of the film.
"There is no way down," Iñárritu said. "You have to go up or you die. There was no choice for us."
After the credits rolled and the audience stood up to cheer, Iñárritu was joined on the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre stage at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences by stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Will Poulter and other members of his filmmaking team, who braved a brutal British Columbia winter to shoot the film this past year. He put the final touches on the film last week for its Oscars-qualifying limited release on Dec. 25 followed by a nationwide expansion in January.
Set in 1823, "The Revenant," based on a 2002 novel by Michael Punke, follows Hugh Glass (DiCaprio) and a team of fur trappers (including Poulter, Tom Hardy, and Domhnall Gleeson) on an expedition cut short by a vicious ambush - the first scene that they shot. Soon after, Hugh is mauled by a bear and left for dead by his fellow frontiersman. He wills himself to survive and endeavours to enact revenge on those who have wronged him.
"This is a very linear, straightforward, brilliantly simplistic screenplay...we wanted to find the poetry in between that," DiCaprio said of his performance, which requires very little dialogue for a 151 minute movie. "It was about us immersing ourselves in nature and putting ourselves as close as we could to the struggle of these people and finding the thru line in that process."
That immersion wasn't exactly a pleasant experience all of the time. Not only were the conditions trying and "absolutely against (the crew) all the time," but Iñárritu was uncompromising in his stylistic ambitions - he and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki shot everything in natural light and with the painstaking detail of his signature long takes.
Tom Cruise to take on a new role for 'Mummy' reboot (image courtesy WENN)
by Justin Kroll, Variety.com
As Universal works on launching its classic monster movie universe, it hopes to have landed a major star for its "The Mummy" reboot: Tom Cruise.
Cruise is in talks to star in the reboot, sources tell Variety, helping to launch Universal's new era of monster films.
The studio tapped Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan last summer to help develop a universe for Universal where its classic monster movie library is front and center. Kurtzman is also on board to direct and will produce alongside Morgan. Universal is not commenting on casting speculation regarding the project.
Jon Spaihts is penning the script.
Plot details are vague other than it will be set in present day, unlike the previous three installments starring Brendan Fraser.
Cruise isn't expected to produce, but will play a major part in helping develop this new franchise, sources say. Cruise's name is expected to play a large part in not only the "Mummy" franchise, but also in the monster universe, as it's planned that characters will have roles in other monster movies leading up to an "Avengers"-style tie-in film.
Dorothy's dress from 'Wizard of Oz' sells for a pretty $1.56 million
By Lorenzo Ferrigno
Dorothy, living on a Kansas farm in the 1930s, probably never would have imagined her dress traveling to Oz -- let alone New York, where decades later it would be valued at over $1 million.
But the iconic blue gingham apron and shirt costume [pictured] that Judy Garland wore as Dorothy in the 1939 classic "The Wizard of Oz" did just that Monday, selling for $1,565,000 at a New York auction.
Three competitive bidders fought for the iconic piece of movie history via phone, according to a news release. The winner was not immediately identified.
The costume consisted of the blue and white gingham pinafore with a fitted bodice and a full skirt with 'Judy Garland' inscribed on the inside as well as a short cream-colored cotton blouse with a high neck that also has "Judy Garland" inscribed inside, according to Bonhams website, the auction house who sold the costume.
The costume's sale surpassed its presale estimate by the auction house of $800,000 to $1.2 million.
"As we witnessed today in the Bonhams saleroom, the dress is considered a true and timeless icon of classic Hollywood," said Catherine Williamson, Bonhams' director of entertainment memorabilia.
Box office report: Mockingjay - Part 2 earns lowest Hunger Games debut with $101 million
A scene from 'Mockingjay - Pt 2' with Natalie Dormer (left) and Jennifer Lawrence (image courtesy Everett Collection)
by Devan Coggan
The saga of Katniss Everdeen came to a close this weekend as The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 opened to an estimated $101 million.
That's the lowest debut of any of the Hunger Games movies and under initial predictions of $120 million. When the big-screen depiction of Suzanne Collins' Panem debuted in March 2012, it brought in $152.5 million, the biggest opening ever for a movie with a female lead. The next year, Catching Fire beat its record and stretched to $158.1 million. Last year's Mockingjay – Part 1 saw a slight dip, opening to $121.9 million, and early predictions had Part 2 debuting close to that.
While Mockingjay didn't manage to soar as high as the earlier installments, the $160 million film still notched the fifth-biggest debut of the year, making it one of only five films to debut above $100 million. And although Mockingjay 2 wasn't as critically adored as the first two films, it earned an A- CinemaScore. Globally, it reeled in $247 million, and even though Mockingjay couldn't catch Catching Fire's box office records, it bumped up the franchise's worldwide total to a staggering $2.55 billion.
As far as films not set in Panem go, holdovers and newcomers alike fell to Katniss' arrow, as no other movie in theaters managed to crack $15 million. The Christmas-themed comedy The Night Before, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Anthony Mackie, and Seth Rogen, hauled in $10.1 million. Thanks to positive word-of-mouth (it earned an A- CinemaScore) and a lack of other R-rated comedies, it could hold up well over the next few weeks.
The weekend's final new wide release, the crime thriller Secret In Their Eyes, rounded out the top five with $6.6 million. With a star-studded cast including Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, and Chiwetel Ejiofor, Secret In Their Eyes earned a B- CinemaScore.
Spectre and The Peanuts Movie held second and third place, as 007 brought in $14.6 million and Charlie Brown made $12.8 million. Spectre's domestic total is now at $153.7 million, while The Peanuts Movie has made $98.9 million.
Melissa McCarthy Is 'The Boss' Of Girl Scouts In Debut Trailer
By Robert Dougherty
Melissa McCarthy has played her fair share of characters who walk around and act like they run the place. However, she hasn't played someone who is a real boss until now, although The Boss is running something far different than a multi-billion dollar company before long, as seen in the first trailer on Nov. 19.
McCarthy presented part of the first trailer herself to Jimmy Kimmel, before a full red band, not entirely safe for work trailer was released online. In it, she is the wealthiest woman in America before going down for insider trading -- yet after getting out of prison, she stumbles onto an unlikely cash cow to get her back on top.
This is literally all McCarthy's idea, as she co-wrote and created Michelle Darnell while husband Ben Falcone -- who gets hit with a tennis ball by his off-screen wife here -- directed. Yet there's still room for two Bells alongside her -- Kristen Bell as her put upon assistant turned put upon host and Jillian Bell as her rival in the brownie business -- along with Peter Dinklage and Kathy Bates although they aren't in the trailer.
George Lucas on new Star Wars film: 'They weren’t keen to have me involved'
by Anthony Breznican
George Lucas has compared his retirement from Star Wars to a break-up – a mutual one, maybe, but it nonetheless comes with hard feelings.
Before handing over Lucasfilm and the future of his galactic saga to The Walt Disney Co. for $4 billion in 2012, Lucas came up with story treatments for a new trilogy. Those materials, to put it bluntly, were discarded.
"They decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were gonna go do their own thing," Lucas says in a new interview with CBS This Morning. "They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway. But at the same time, I said if I get in there I'm just going to cause trouble. Because they're not going to do what I want them to do. And I don't have the control to do that anymore. All I would do is muck everything up. So I said, 'Okay, I will go my way, and I'll let them go their way.'"
Lucas, who was brutalized by critics and some fans over the prequel trilogy, suggested he was going to tell a story about the grandchildren of figures from the original trilogy. (We still don't know the full names of some characters from The Force Awakens, so that may still happen, just in a different way from Lucas planned.)
"The issue was, ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans,'" he told CBS. "So, I said, all I want to do is tell a story of what happened – it started here and went there. It's all about generations, and issues of fathers and sons and grandfathers. It's a family soap opera."
Then he brought up the break-up analogy to explain why he's not involved in The Force Awakens at all. "When you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls. The second rule, you don't go over to their house and drive by to see what they're doing," Lucas said. "The third one is you don't show up at their coffee shop and say, 'You are going to burn it...' You just say 'Nope, gone, history, I'm moving forward.'"
Natalie Dormer Strays Off The Path In New Trailer For 'The Forest'
By Kevin Jagernauth, The Playlist
While she's an integral part of "Game Of Thrones," and has supporting part in the "The Hunger Games" sequels, Natalie Dormer hasn't really had a leading role to call her own, but that all changes with the upcoming "The Forest." While one wishes it wasn't such a rote looking horror movie, I suppose we'll take what we can get.
Co-starring Taylor Kinney, Yukiyoshi Ozawa, and Eoin Macken, and directed by Jason Sada, the story follows a young woman who heads to Japan's infamous suicide famous to look for her sister. But instead, she finds something much spookier.
The future of the money-spinning franchise has been the source of much speculation in recent months - with the likes of Jennifer Lawrence and Hugh Jackman set to walk away from their roles - but it appears director Bryan Singer is set to return to helm another sci-fi movie in two years' time.
Michel Trudel, President of Mel Studios, where the new 'X-Men: Apocalypse' has been filmed, told De Journal de Montreal: ''It was a miracle that we managed to attract the movie 'X-Men' in Montreal in 2013.
''To convince Fox to return for a second and now a third is simply amazing.''
Significant parts of 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past' and 'X-Men: Apocalypse' were filmed in Montreal, and so it's widely expected that the franchise will soon return to the Canadian city.
The speculation comes shortly after Nicholas Hoult teased details of the new 'X-Men: Apocalypse'.
Asked what he is allowed to say about the film, he said: ''It's under wraps. But Oscar Isaac is playing a powerful mutant called Apocalypse. It's set in the 1980s and reintroduces some of the characters from the previous films but with more stories from when they were younger.''
Denzel Washington to receive Cecil B. DeMille Award at Golden Globes
Denzel Washington to receive the coveted Cecile B. DeMille award at the Golden Globe's in January (image courtesy AP)
by Sadaf Ahsan
Two-time Oscar winner Denzel Washington has officially been named the 2016 recipient of the Cecil B. DeMille Award, with which he will be honored at the 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards in January, reports E! Online.
"Washington's long and storied career is earmarked by his countless roles in front and behind the camera," said Hollywood Foreign Press Association president Lorenzo Soria in a statement on Monday. "It is the HFPA's privilege to honour his contributions to the entertainment industry with the Cecil B. DeMille Award."
Washington's performance in Glory earned him an Academy Award and a Golden Globe in 1990. He also nabbed a Globe for The Hurricane and an Oscar for Training Day in 2002. Add to that glowing pile a Tony Award, one BAFTA Award, one NAACP Image Award and a Grammy, leaving him one Emmy Award away from Hollywood's coveted EGOT status.
Last appearing in 2014's box office hit The Equalizer with Training Day director Antoine Fuqua, the actor is rejoining forces with the director for the remake of The Magnificent Seven, due out September 2016.
The DeMille Award is given to those who have "made an incredible impact on the world of entertainment." Last year's honoree was George Clooney, and previous winners have included Woody Allen, Jodie Foster, Morgan Freeman and Robert De Niro.
French Release of Natalie Portman's 'Jane Got a Gun' Postponed
Natalie Portman in a scene from 'Jane Got a Gun' (image courtesy 1821 Pictures)
by Rhonda Richford
The French release of Natalie Portman’s Jane Got a Gun has been pushed back following Friday’s terror attacks in Paris, representatives for the film told THR on Monday.
The beleaguered film, which has had several release date changes in the U.S., had been scheduled to open in France next Wednesday, Nov. 25, well ahead of its U.S. premiere. It had been picked up for the U.S. by The Weinstein Company after Relativity filed for bankruptcy.
Following the attacks on Friday, Portman and the film’s team called off press events and the film’s French premiere that had been scheduled for Sunday and Monday. It also stars Ewan McGregor and Joel Edgerton.
French distributor Mars Film did not have a new projected release date, but it is expected to be in early 2016, more in line with the U.S. release in February of next year.